Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Review: No River Too Wide by Emilie Richards

Title: No River Too Wide
Author: Emilie Richards
Genre: Contemporary/Women's Fiction
Series: Goddesses Anonymous #3
Publication Date: 24th June 2014
Pages: 496
Book Source: Harlequin & NetGalley

Synopsis: Some betrayals are like rivers, so deep, so wide, they can't be crossed. But for those with enough courage forgiveness, redemption, and love may be found on the other side.

On the night her home is consumed by fire, Janine Stoddard finally resolves to leave her abusive husband. While she is reluctant to involve her estranged daughter, she can't resist a chance to see Harmony and baby Lottie before she disappears forever.

Harmony's friend Taylor Martin realizes how much the reunited mother and daughter yearn to stay together, and she sees in Jan a chance to continue her own mother's legacy of helping women in need of a fresh start. She opens her home, even as she's opening her heart to another newcomer, Adam Pryor. But enigmatic Adam has a secret that could destroy Taylor's trust and cost Jan her hard-won freedom

My Thoughts:
I am in awe ... seriously, how does Emilie Richards do it? This is the 3rd installment in the Goddesses Anonymous series and it's another winner. Winner ... an unusual choice of words for the heartbreaking issue of domestic violence but at the heart of No River Too Wide is strength, hope, courage and triumph.

Emilie Richards writes with truth, I know this ... for 10 years I lived an abusive marriage. (thank God not Janine's) In some ways it feels like a lifetime ago, in others, I'm a work in progress. (To Move Forward, To Begin Healing 2010) I'm not looking back ... breaking the silence goes some small way to breaking the power and hold of abusers. 

... as does having a support network. It takes courage to reach out and accept what's offered and it was heartwarming watching Janine's interactions with her support network. Reuniting with her daughter Harmony and meeting grandaughter Lottie for the first time, another step in the healing process. I cheered each and every one of Janine's steps to reclaiming her self.

I loved catching up with the characters from One Mountain Away; they're the trustees of the mountain cabin called The Goddess House, a safe haven for women needing a fresh start or second chance. Emilie Richards keeps it very real when we see how Harmony and Taylor are fairing, their emotions and reactions resonated with me. It's the women that hold my attention, rather than the mystery but I must admit I enjoyed the challenges Adam Pryor brought to the mix. 

I want so much to convey my love for the gorgeous, lyrical quality, the raw honesty of Emilie Richards' writing but relating so personally has made this a difficult review to write ... my brain is cramping. I can't rave enough about the series and I really love the titles, they represent the themes of each book so beautifully. 
  
"Abandon perfection. Welcome reflection. Nuture connection." Taylor paused. "And to that I think we need to add 'offer protection.'"


One Mountain Away ~ 5 star sobfest

Somewhere Between Luck and Trust ~ 4.5 star


No River Too Wide


Connect with Emilie Richards



19 comments:

  1. Wonderful review, Sheree. I'm going to start with the first book and know that there are wonderful books to follow. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One Mountain Away was beautiful Mary, get the tissues ready. Can't wait to see what you think!

      Delete
  2. Oh wow, this book would have been both hard and easy for you to read. You'd recognise its truth, but it would bring back memories. I can see how you would applaud every small step Janine took. Wasn't she fantastic.
    Awesome review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kathryn. Emilie Richards has definitely earned her spot in my favourite author list, and I know how much you love this series. Have you read any of her other books?

      Delete
    2. Pretty much all of her books, haven't read her earlier romances or her cozy mystery type books, but will remedy that one day! Her Shenandoah series is where I fell in love with her writing.

      Delete
  3. This would be hard for me to read too ... but it sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, another impressive review for this novel. I seriously need to try this author and series. Wonderful review Teddyree!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. start at the beginning, each book is so much richer having the full story, hope you love them as much as I do :)

      Delete
  5. Love your reviews. My TBR-list is filled with books I've found on this blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Anette *clapping hands* ... I like being an enabler lol

      Delete
  6. I'll have to read all three, they sound awfully good. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really liked this book and want to go back and read the previous ones in the series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. then you are going to love One Mountain Away Christina, it's my favourite of the series but all three are wonderful

      Delete
  8. I am going to look for the first book in the series, based on your recommendation. What a wonderful review you wrote! I have also been in an abusive relationship, it ended many many years ago (when I was a young woman) and I have been happily married for 26 years now.

    That being neither here nor there, just wanted to mention it-- I am not ashamed of it because I did nothing wrong-- and I trust your opinion so I'm sure these are great books.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave some comment love, I'm a 'comment back' kinda girl. Don't forget to check the 'Notify me' box