Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Review: Four Friends by Robyn Carr

Title: Four Friends
Author: Robyn Carr
Genre: Women's Fiction/Contemporary Fiction
Publication Date: 25th March 2014
Pages: 384
Book Source: my bookshelf

Synopsis: Gerri can't decide what's more devastating: learning her rock-solid marriage has big cracks, or the anger she feels as she tries to repair the damage. Always the anchor for friends and her three angst-ridden teenagers, it's time to look carefully at herself. The journey for Gerri and her family is more than revealing—it's transforming.

Andy doesn't have a great track record with men, and she's come to believe that for her a lasting love is out of reach. When she finds herself attracted to her down-to-earth, ordinary contractor—a man without any of the qualities that usually appeal to her—she questions everything she thought she wanted in life.

Sonja's lifelong pursuit of balance is shattered when her husband declares he's through with her New Age nonsense and walks out. There's no herbal tonic or cleansing ritual that can restore her serenity—or her sanity. 

Miraculously, it's BJ, the reserved newcomer to Mill Valley, who steps into their circle and changes everything. The woman with dark secrets opens up to her neighbors, and together they get each other back on track, stronger as individuals and unfaltering as friends.

My Thoughts: 
*Shock horror* this is my first Robyn Carr novel, my friend Karen who guest reviews here loves Carr's Virgin River and Thunder Point series but I've just not found the time to start despite her encouragement. I know, I know I'm missing out. Four Friends has a similar feel to Susan Mallery's Three Sistersmy favourite in her Blackberry Island series. Where the things I love ... family dynamics, friendship, in particular the strength in womens' friendship come together in a way that feels completely real.  

I connected with each of the women, finding a little of myself in all of them, ok maybe not Sonja lol. Their stories touched me, but most of all their friendship touched me ... the support, tough love, sarcasm, humour and honesty. 

We all face challenges in our lives, marriages, careers, with our children, health, ... nobody is exempt, nobody has the perfect life and these four women are no different. Maybe it's a little contrived, they live in the same street and they're all going through 'stuff' at the same time but their issues are real and I was so caught up I didn't care. They're coming apart at the seams and I'm loving it ... hmm what does that say about me ... HA

Gerri doesn't have it all but anger, therapy and testosterone cream tip the balance.

Andy, two failed marriages but this time ... it's different.

Sonja keeps it together by controlling everything with new age serenity. Her unraveling was sad to read but her 'recovery' had me giggling. 

BJ reserved but intuitive, new to the neighbourhood, just new enough to see what others are too close to see. Dropping barriers brings friendship and the sun. 

A fun, insightful read, I could see myself in this friendship circle.


Connect with Robyn Carr 



14 comments:

  1. I have been told to read Carr too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I already told you how I felt about this one ... lol ... I need to STOP reading books that make me depressed! HA!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol Julie, I laughed more with this one, Susan Mallery's Three Sisters was heart-achy.

      Delete
  3. This will be my first Carr book too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry that this was your first Carr book. Sooooo much worse than her others. I couldn't finish this one, and I've read almost everything else she has written. Her Virgin River and Thunder Point are amazing books, I love them tons. I couldn't read this one because it was too much complaining, too much whining and how I hated Sonja. I hope you'll give her others a try as well, hopefully you'll love them, they are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol Karsyn Sonja was a bit of a train wreck wasn't she. Sorry you couldn't finish it, I thought the 'issues' were quite realistic. I'll definitely read her other series, I'd like to say soon but that's not likely lol

      Delete
  5. I want to know what the audio is like, so I'll check in, hope Sonja isn't too annoying on audio lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sonja was a mess! I enjoyed this book too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So happy you read this one. I loved it of course and you are right about the same feel as Mallery's Three Sisters - in my opinion! A number of years back I was in the reading doldrums and didn't know what to read. Eventually I sent off for Virgin River - the first in that series - and the rest you might say is history. I have every one of that series sitting on my own bookshelf. Also all of her ones that are more in the women's fiction line. Mallery, Carr and Wiggs - love all of their women's fiction books.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like this one as well. I find her non VR and TP books a bit different. VR and TP are Contemporary Romance. I agree that Four Friends is Women's Fiction. I've loved all of her books :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So excited you finally got to read a Carr novel and now you've read one that I haven't.

    I'm looking forward to this one myself. I love her Virgin River and Thunder Point series, but wasn't a huge fan of the Grace Valley trilogy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've read so many great things about this one. Glad you loved it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave some comment love, I'm a 'comment back' kinda girl. Don't forget to check the 'Notify me' box