Friday, April 11, 2014

Review: Lady of the English by Elizabeth Chadwick

Genre: Historical Fiction
Publication Date: 1st July 2012
Time: 16hrs 59mins
Narrator: Patience Tomlinson
Book Source: Own audio

Synopsis: Two very different women are linked by destiny and the struggle for the English crown. Matilda, daughter of Henry I, is determined to win back her crown from Stephen, the usurper king. Adeliza, Henry's widowed queen and Matilda's stepmother, is now married to William D'Albini, a warrior of the opposition. Both women are strong and prepared to stand firm for what they know is right. But in a world where a man's word is law, how can Adeliza obey her husband while supporting Matilda, the rightful queen? And for Matilda pride comes before a fall ...What price for a crown? What does it cost to be 'Lady of the English'?

My Thoughts: 
I'm a total Elizabeth Chadwick fangirl. See my post about The Summer Queen (5 stars) on audio which inspired me to go with the audio of Lady of the English rather than read the book ... big mistake! 

No more audiobooks by this narrator ... ever! She yawned and talked. Repeatedly. Go on, try it ... see what I mean? I kept thinking, it's a one off, it's not so bad ... it wasn't a one off and it was that bad. 

Lady of the English focuses on the relationship/friendship between Matilda, heir of Henry I of England and Henry's second wife, Adeliza of Louvain. I knew nothing about Adeliza so I was really looking forward to her story. Following King Henry's death it was nice to know Adeliza was blessed with love and children in her subsequent marriage to William d'Aubigny. Matilda's cousin, Stephen of Blois (grandson of William the Conqueror) assumes the throne upon Henry's death but Matilda fights tooth and nail to reclaim what is rightfully hers. 

Despite my best efforts I seem to be incapable of writing an unbiased review ... just can't get past that spitting, jarring, harridan-like narration. My advice, check out reviews from readers who read the book and if you recently bought this one on audio ... get a refund. Quite frankly I'm pissed off that the narrator ruined my experience. 

Recommend: Not on audio

Connect with Elizabeth Chadwick




7 comments:

  1. :/ A bad narrator can so spoil a book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really can make or break it! You read this one didn't you B?

      Delete
  2. Yawned and talked?!?!?! YIKES!!! No wonder you had a hard time with it :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep, once burnt and all that ... don't mess with my audio books lol

      Delete
  3. Great thoughts on that! LOL - I just wrote a spitting review myself... but havent posted yet ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol now what book has you spitting Sheila? I'll be waiting to check out that review :)

      Delete
  4. Bummer. A bad narrator always makes me feel bad when I write a less than positive review. But that was your experience.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave some comment love, I'm a 'comment back' kinda girl. Don't forget to check the 'Notify me' box