Tuesday, October 22, 2013

The Perfect Match by Kristan Higgins

Genre: Contemporary Romance
Series: Blue Heron #2
Publication Date: 29th October 2013
Pages: 448
Book Source: Harlequin & NetGalley

Synopsis: What if the perfect match is a perfect surprise? 

Honor Holland has just been unceremoniously rejected by her lifelong crush. And now—a mere three weeks later—Mr. Perfect is engaged to her best friend. But resilient, reliable Honor is going to pick herself up, dust herself off and get back out there…or she would if dating in Manningsport, New York, population 715, wasn't easier said than done. 

Charming, handsome British professor Tom Barlow just wants to do right by his unofficial stepson, Charlie, but his visa is about to expire. Now Tom must either get a green card or leave the States—and leave Charlie behind. 

In a moment of impulsiveness, Honor agrees to help Tom with a marriage of convenience—and make her ex jealous in the process. But juggling a fiancé, hiding out from her former best friend and managing her job at the family vineyard isn't easy. And as sparks start to fly between Honor and Tom, they might discover that their pretend relationship is far too perfect to be anything but true love….

Karen's Thoughts:
You may have read previous guest reviews I’ve done for Kristin Higgins' books here at The Eclectic Reader. It’s easy for me to say that Kristan is by far my favourite contemporary romance author. Seems that after introducing Kristan’s fabulous stories to Teddyree that I’ve found another fan for Kristan, but also possibly some competition as to who will review her books!

One of the things I love about picking up one of Kristan’s books is that her storytelling is flawless, her characters are loveable and always find a place in my heart, I’ll have a laugh or two, maybe shed a few tears and am I am always guaranteed a HEA.

The Perfect Match is Honor and Thomas’ story. We meet Honor in the first book The Best Man, the story of Honor’s sister Faith. Thomas is a very cute and charming Englishman, and I loved that Kristan crossed the water to find a new main man. Thomas has issues extending his work Visa and the plan is they will marry to enable Tom to stay. I love the marriage of convenience storyline in a historical novel, usually not so much in a modern setting, but Kristan has pulled this one off very well. Thomas has many qualities to be admired, as noted by Honor.

Oh sigh.  Not only could he shag like a friggin’ Olympian, he cooked for her.

I adore the quirky family members and residents of Manningsport. Honor hosts a wine and movie night at the local retirement village.

Honor had started the Watch and Wine club a couple of years ago:  show a movie that had even a little bit of wine in it and pair it with a themed tasting. For Un-corked, they’d of course had the Chateau Montelena chardonnay. Pinot noir for Sideways. A full-bodied cab for Twilight, though the combination of wine and Taylor Lautner’s torso had proved too much for some, and 911 had to be called when Mrs Griggs fainted.

I feel that Kristan with her latest two novels is skirting the edge a little more with the sexiness. I’m used to reading some steamier romance novels but I never feel like I’m missing anything with Kristan’s novels because she sure knows how to write fabulous chemistry between her characters. 

This series has been promoted as a trilogy but there are so many fabulous characters in the town of Manningsport that I really hope Kristan’s publishers ask her to write more about this lovely town and its quirky characters.

Loved it ... totally deserving of a fabulous 5 stars.

See my review of the 1st book in the series THE BEST MAN.

Guest review by Karen Barr


Connect with Kristan Higgins




12 comments:

  1. You and Kristan :) Of course you loved it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did love it Blodeuedd, not sure why but it wasn't what I was expecting and that was refreshing.

      Delete
  2. Ohhhhhhhhhhh I need to read this one! I love her books!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely need to read it then Julie. Do you have a favourite of Kristan's titles? I have a few but I think Catch of the Day is still at the top of my favourites list.

      Delete
  3. Thanks so much Karen, it was a sacrifice not being first to read this series lol but since we're such good friends, a willing *cough* sacrifice ;)
    Can't wait to read The Best Man & The Perfect Match. Love the quote regarding Thomas's ummm qualities hahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had so many little snippets tagged in this one it was hard to choose which to include...but that one was a must!

      Thank you so much for giving me the opportunity to guest review my favourite author once again xx

      Delete
  4. I haven't read anything by Kristan yet but I've heard her books are lovely. Thanks so much for the great review Karen =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome Mishel and thank you for your comment.

      I do hope you get a chance to read something by Kristan.

      Delete
  5. I love her books! And for all the reasons you listed here. This one is pre-ordered so after reading your review I can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure you will enjoy this one too Mary…I am excited for the third instalment, I just wish I didn't have to wait so long!

      Delete
  6. I always prefer chemistry to steamy sex scenes. I need to jump on the Higgins bandwagon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if you prefer the chemistry to sexiness stacybuckeye, then Kristan Higgins mights just be your cup of tea!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave some comment love, I'm a 'comment back' kinda girl. Don't forget to check the 'Notify me' box