Monday, January 21, 2013

The Lives We Lost by Megan Crewe

Genre: YA Dystopia
Series: Fallen World #2
Publication Date: 12th February 2012
Pages: 288
Book Source: Disney Book Group & NetGalley

Synopsis: First, the virus took Kaelyn’s friends. Then, her family. Now it’s taken away her home.

But she can't look back—the life she once had is gone forever.

A deadly virus has destroyed Kaelyn’s small island community and spread beyond the quarantine. No one is safe. But when Kaelyn finds samples of a vaccine in her father's abandoned lab, she knows there must be someone, somewhere, who can replicate it. As Kaelyn and her friends head to the mainland, they encounter a world beyond recognition. It’s not only the “friendly flu” that’s a killer—there are people who will stop at nothing to get their hands on the vaccine. How much will Kaelyn risk for an unproven cure, when the search could either destroy those she loves or save the human race?

Megan Crewe's second volume in the Fallen World trilogy is an action-packed journey that explores the resilience of friendship, the ache of lost love, and Kaelyn’s enduring hope in the face of the sacrifices she must make to stay alive.


My Thoughts:
I love a 'good' deadly virus story, probably because it's not too far removed from reality, nothing like a dose of paranoia and fear to get a germ-o-phobe's heart racing. The Lives We Lost is told as a regular narrative unlike the diary entry - letter format of the 1st book and I have to say it added a different dimension - heightened suspense and action.

Kaelyn, Meredith, Gav, and Tessa leave their decimated island community for the mainland and learn as they travel across Canada that the virus has left no area untouched and the lives they once knew are gone forever. Some characters play a lesser role this time round but new character Tobias was a welcome addition to the cast and after reading quite a bit about Leo in The Way We Fall I enjoyed him being present in this book. 

The Lives We Lost is a great 2nd installment, I enjoyed it just as much as The Way We Fall. It demonstrates the continued unraveling of a society annihilated by fear and a deadly virus and magnifies peoples' motivation on self preservation. While hope exists, no matter how slim the thread, there will always be courageous people willing to make difficult choices and fight for the greater good. 

Can't wait to see who's still alive come the final book in the trilogy :)

Visit Megan Crewe's website or blog to find out more.

See my review of book 1 - The Way We Fall

10 comments:

  1. Ohhhhhhh I need to check into this series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this genre Julie and I'm totally hooked on the series!

      Delete
  2. I'm going to read some YA this year. This series sounds good! Thanks for the intro.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bit disappointed to hear that this isn't told in diary-letter format as I adore that but I'm looking forward to finding out what's going to happen next for the survivors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't miss it actually, even though I enjoyed it in book 1, it just gave this installment a different vibe. Can't wait to see what you think!

      Delete
  4. I wasn't even aware of this dystopian trilogy. Ack! (I am a germaphobe, too..) And even though it's completely masochistic for me to read about germs, I will be checking this out!

    Allison
    Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally get that LOL, it's the whole not too far from reality thing I think. This germaphobe also loves movies like Contagion, even though they scare the poop out of me.

      Delete
  5. I'm game for this one...even though I work at a school with 725 germ-filled kids!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll have you paranoid Staci, you'll be walking around with disinfectant wipes and a mask lol

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave some comment love, I'm a 'comment back' kinda girl. Don't forget to check the 'Notify me' box