Friday, December 28, 2012

The Last Boyfriend & The Perfect Hope by Nora Roberts

Title: The Last Boyfriend
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Series: Inn BoonsBoro #2
Publication Date: 1st May 2012
Pages: 319 
Book Source: Own purchase

Synopsis: Owen is the organizer of the Montgomery clan, running the family's construction business with an iron fist - and an even less flexible spreadsheet. And though his brothers bust on his compulsive list-making, the Inn BoonsBoro is about to open right on schedule. The only thing Owen didn't plan for was Avery McTavish

Avery's popular pizza place is right across the street from the inn, giving her a first-hand look at its amazing renovation - and a newfound appreciation for Owen. Since he was her first boyfriend when they were kids, Owen has never been far from Avery's thoughts. But the attraction she's feeling for him now is far from innocent.

As Avery and Owen cautiously take their relationship to another level, the opening of the inn gives the whole town of Boonsboro a reason to celebrate. But Owen's hard work has only begun. Getting Avery to let down her guard is going to take longer than he expected - and so will getting her to realize that her first boyfriend is going to be her last...

My Thoughts:
A nice installment in the Inn Boonsboro trilogy and a quick, easy read. If you're a fan of Nora then you know to expect a certain formula and of course a HEA (why else do we read the genre lol) but the similarities between this trilogy and some of her others probably contributed to this one losing a little of its shine.

Avery is a whirlwind, energetic, spontaneous, and the perfect partner for calm, measured, super-organised Owen ... childhood sweethearts re-kindling the flame. Nothing earth shattering, just a nice, sweet romance.

I love the setting, the renovation work and I especially love the ribbing the Montgomery brothers give each other and I think their relationship with mum Justine is really sweet.

... "She talked to me about how she felt when Dad died, and she cried."

"Shit." Ryder paced to the window, stared out.
"She and Willy B care about each other, we know that. They leaned on each other when Dad died, we know that, too. I guess, after a while ..."
"They started leaning on each other naked."

"Goddamn it, Ry" Beckett pressed his fingers to his eyes. "Stop putting those pictures in my head."




Title: The Perfect Hope
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Series: Inn BoonsBoro #3
Publication Date: 6th November 2012
Pages: 308
Book Source: Own purchase

Synopsis: Ryder is the hardest Montgomery brother to figure out—with a tough-as-nails outside and possibly nothing too soft underneath. He’s surly and unsociable, but when he straps on a tool belt, no woman can resist his sexy swagger. Except apparently Hope Beaumont, the innkeeper of his own Inn BoonsBoro…

As the former manager of a D.C. hotel, Hope is used to excitement and glamour, but that doesn’t mean she can’t appreciate the joys of small-town living. She’s where she wants to be—except for in her love life. Her only interaction with the opposite sex has been sparring with the infuriating Ryder, who always seems to get under her skin. Still, no one can deny the electricity that crackles between them…a spark that ignited with a New Year’s Eve kiss.

While the Inn is running smoothly, thanks to Hope’s experience and unerring instincts, her big-city past is about to make an unwelcome—and embarrassing—appearance. Seeing Hope vulnerable stirs up Ryder’s emotions and makes him realize that while Hope may not be perfect, she just might be perfect for him…

My Thoughts:
The last of the Montgomery brothers to hook up. Ryder is sexy and surly but his style of communication or lack there of, didn't come across well on paper. Hope, the innkeeper of BoonsBoro is obsessive, organised and a little uptight. Out of this pair, Ryder's dog D.A. Dumbass was my favourite ... hmm that doesn't say much does it lol.

Overall I liked the story but it lacked warmth. Not sure whether that was the writing or the characters themselves being less endearing. 

What I did love once again was the close knit family dynamics, Hope, Avery and Clare's friendship, their girly heart-to-hearts and keeping up with Clare & Beckett and Avery & Owens' relationships. I enjoyed the inclusion of the resident Lizzy ghost in book 1 and 2 but in this installment it was over the top.

The 1st book, The Next Always was my favourite of the series but this series on a whole wasn't Nora Roberts at her best.






6 comments:

  1. Not the series to start with then :( I will go for another one instead :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read her in awhile ... I might have to give a chance to this series!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We were seperated at brth for sure!! You put into words very nicely exactly what I thought about this series!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've not read a Nora Roberts yet and I think its time I started!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only Roberts books I've read are the first three of the Bride Quartet and I found that I cared more about the non-romantic relationships than the actual romances. I suspect I would similarly be more interested in the family dynamics and friendships than the romances for this trilogy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The first book was my favorite too! Overall a good series.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave some comment love, I'm a 'comment back' kinda girl. Don't forget to check the 'Notify me' box