Friday, June 08, 2012

Slipping Reality by Emily Beaver

Genre: YA Contemporary
Publication Date: 14th July 2011
Pages: 242
Book Source: Authorhouse & NetGalley

Synopsis: In a time of hardship and heartbreak, sometimes, reality just isn't enough. Slipping Reality is the story of fourteen-year-old Katelyn Emerson, who, when faced with the glaring reality of her brother's illness, rebels against the truth by slipping away into the depths of her own imagination. There, she finds the kind of support and comfort she feels she deserves. There, she does not have to feel so alone. And yet, as Katelyn's grasp on reality begins to unravel, so too does the story of a girl who grew up too fast and fell apart too soon. Emily Beaver's debut novel is a coming of age story that deals with the trials of young grief, insight, and growth where it's least expected.


My Thoughts:
Having experienced a grief so overwhelming I wondered whether I'd ever glue the broken pieces of myself back together, I felt the concept behind Emily's book was a beautiful, haunting one and particularly meaningful to me. How tempting, Katelyn's escape from the grim reality of life, comforted by your imagination, escape from pain in a fantasy of your own creation.

14 year old Katelyn's imaginative world with Tristan & Cedric fast became her reality, robbing her of precious time she could have spent with her dying brother Matthew. When Matthew dies, sadly the clock can't be turned back, choices made can't be undone.

I wish I didn't have anything critical to say about Slipping Reality, Emily Beaver has put so much of herself into her work, but the writing was inconsistent; moments of poignancy mixed with stilted, disjointed phrasing. This heartfelt little book could have been so much more with the benefit of further editing and polishing.
“Tristan was so open to me that his reserved character was all but abandoned, as he put effort into being more open towards me.” ... (oh dear)

Emily wrote Slipping Reality at 14 (an amazing accomplishment) as her own brother Matthew was dying from cancer; indulging in the what-ifs from the safety of the pages of her book, what if I hadn't been as strong? what if I'd taken that break from reality? I understand why Emily wrote Katelyn's journey as she did and my heart broke for this young girl; grieving is difficult enough without adding regret and guilt to the mix.

It's obvious Emily writes from the heart, I look forward to more from this up and coming young author. 

Visit Emily's website to find out more about this author and her work.








6 comments:

  1. She wrote it at 14! I want to read this now. To even reach publication is amazing even if it did need further editing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is amazing, she is certainly going to be an author to watch out for!

      Delete
  2. Wow written at 14! That's pretty amazing!! Good for her!! I think I will be checking this one out!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave some comment love, I'm a 'comment back' kinda girl. Don't forget to check the 'Notify me' box