Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Days Of Splendor, Days of Sorrow by Juliet Grey

Genre: Historical Fiction
Series: Marie Antoinette #2
Publication Date: 15th May 2012
Pages: 336
Book Source: Random House & NetGalley

Synopsis: A captivating novel of rich spectacle and royal scandal, Days of Splendor, Days of Sorrow spans fifteen years in the fateful reign of Marie Antoinette, France’s most legendary and notorious queen.

Paris, 1774. At the tender age of eighteen, Marie Antoinette ascends to the French throne alongside her husband, Louis XVI. But behind the extravagance of the young queen’s elaborate silk gowns and dizzyingly high coiffures, she harbors deeper fears for her future and that of the Bourbon dynasty.

From the early growing pains of marriage to the joy of conceiving a child, from her passion for Swedish military attaché Axel von Fersen to the devastating Affair of the Diamond Necklace, Marie Antoinette tries to rise above the gossip and rivalries that encircle her. But as revolution blossoms in America, a much larger threat looms beyond the gilded gates of Versailles—one that could sweep away the French monarchy forever.


My Thoughts:
As I mentioned in my review of the 1st book in the trilogy, Becoming Marie Antoinette, I've had an ongoing fascination with the much maligned Marie Antoinette. I think I enjoyed the 1st book slightly more as I wasn't familiar with Maria's early years and her intensive grooming for the role of Dauphine of France.

In Days of Splendor, Days of Sorrow I enjoyed the exceptionally detailed look at Marie's life as Queen of France, spanning the period 1774 - 1789; the upside of a trilogy rather than a stand-alone novel. The distress of her unconsummated marriage, Louis XVI's seeming indifference, the long awaited births of her children, her relationships with her ladies in waiting and the infamous "Affair of the Diamond Necklace."

Marie Antoinette fast became a target for rumour, criticism and hatred encompassing everything from sexual depravity, exorbitant spending, frivolous entertainments and the favouring of Austria in political and financial dealings. Whilst she gave the French court and public ample ammunition with her spendthrift ways their perception that she singlehandedly financially ruined the nation was purely scapegoat mentality.  

Many of Marie Antoinette's choices were foolish but understandable and detractors often exist without evidence or provocation so maintaining an exemplary reputation would probably not have changed public opinion. When Marie Antoinette's focus changed from gaming & spending to her children it was far too late; her already tarnished reputation was beyond recovery. I found Juliet Grey's portrayal of Marie Antoinette's character a fair one, she was indeed a young woman of many shades, naive, inexperienced, frivolous and foolish, passionate about fashion and design, a loving mother, compassionate, charitable and generous.

Historians disagree on whether Marie Antoinette and Axel von Fersen were actually lovers; there is very little evidence to suggest more than a romantic friendship but opinion is divided. In Day's Of Splendor, Days Of Sorrow Juliet Grey chooses to portray their love affair and the impact on Marie Antoinette spiritually and psychologically and I quite enjoyed this take. 

Another meticulously researched installment and the extensive bibliography and author's notes detailing fact from fiction were much appreciated by this reader. Highly recommended for anyone with an interest in Marie Antoinette and lovers of French History. 

Check out my review of the 1st novel Becoming Marie Antoinette





14 comments:

  1. I'm going to put the first book in this series on my wishlist, Teddyree :) Historical royalty has always been fascinating to me(and it still is. I cannot think of anyone who could represent Norway in a better way then our Norwegian royal family does).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you love historical royalty then you'll love Becoming Marie Antoinette, her grooming physically, intellectually and emotionally was fascinating!

      Delete
  2. I read a fairly detailed book on this stage of the Queen's life upto her death by Jean Plaidy. In that book you could never figure whether the relationship was platonic but definitely her paramour was very faithful right to the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read the Jean Plaidy book Mystica but Axel Fersen loved Marie faithfully to the end in all the books I have read.

      Delete
  3. But such a sad ending :/ I can't take it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your writing is exceptional! I have the first book but haven't gotten to it yet. I'm not sure what I'm waiting for because Marie fascinates me!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is a fascinating figure for sure ... get to it Staci, after 50 Shades of course LOL

      Delete
  5. Wow, this sounds fascinating--I enjoy historical fiction, but for some reason actually read very little fo it. Thank you for such a thoughtful review.

    Stephanie @ Read in a Single Sitting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephanie, I go through phases even though I love historical fiction, last year was more YA, this year more HF :)

      Delete
  6. This sounds really interesting and I must confess I do not know much abut her (other then what has been in pop culture which is mostly wrong from what i heard). I liked Michelle Morans portrayal of her in Madame Taussaude (sounds like it may be similar). I will have to keep my eye out for this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really love the cover on this one. Makes me want to pick it up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have always felt for MA because due to her upbringing, she was doomed to fail, especially in that economic climate. Neither she or her inept husband stood a chance, although they didn't exactly help themselves either. Excellent review sweetie :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave some comment love, I'm a 'comment back' kinda girl. Don't forget to check the 'Notify me' box